NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

How to Make Cinnamon Rolls when You’re Camping

By Molly Herber on 8/21/18 8:39 AM

Photo by Charlotte Klein.

Waking up to the buttery smell of hot cinnamon rolls is one of the best ways to start your morning.

Topics: backpacking recipe, backcountry recipe, recipe, Expedition Prep, cooking, "cinnamon rolls"

How to Pack Your Backpack

By Molly Herber on 5/23/18 7:01 AM
Photo by Nadine Lehner

The first time I tried to pack a backpack, it took me over an hour to get everything inside. The result was a chunky, clunky pile that rose at least six inches over my head. It wasn’t pretty, but everything was inside.

Topics: Expedition Prep, backpacking, hiking, adventure, Backpacking

How to Convince Your Boss to Let You Take a NOLS Course

By Erica Nelson on 3/15/18 10:37 AM

Photo by Craig Muderlak

When I heard from NOLS’ staffing office that I’d been accepted on the River Instructor Course, I was beyond stoked. I ran to tell my boss the great news. Expecting her to be happy, instead she said, “We can’t afford to lose you this time of year.”

Topics: Live the Dream, leadership, Expedition Prep

Easing Back Into Your Frontcountry Life

By Molly Herber on 12/26/17 9:46 AM

The first few days home after my month-long NOLS mountaineering course, I luxuriated in ordinary things—running water and reconnecting with friends, resting in my own bed after nights of camping in windy, cold mountains. But trading a crowded tent for my own bed also felt lonely. The foods I couldn’t wait to feast on went from exciting back to normal. Rest turned into restlessness. I learned that coming back to the frontcountry is as important a change as learning to live in the wilderness.

Topics: expedition, Expedition Prep

Camping Recipe: Biscuits [Video]

By Molly Herber on 11/10/17 8:43 AM

You know you've found the perfect adventure partner when you wake up to the smell of baking in the morning. Fortunately, it isn't that hard for you to become that perfect adventure partner—all you need are one or two recipes.

Topics: Expedition Prep, recipe, backcountry recipe, cooking

Camping Recipe: No-Bake Energy Nuggets

By Molly Herber on 9/22/17 8:28 AM

When you're rushing out the door on your way to rock climbing session or long hike, these little energy bites are the perfect snacks to have on hand to munch in the car or on the trail.

Topics: Expedition Prep, recipe, cooking, no-bake

Make Your Gear Have Multiple Purposes

By Molly Herber on 9/14/17 8:21 AM

Being intentional about the gear you pack for trips is one of the sneaky ways going to the outdoors teaches us about leadership. You don’t have a lot of room for “just in case” or “what if” when you’re carrying everything on your back or in the small hull of a boat.

Topics: Expedition Prep, gear

Camping Recipe: Potato Pancakes

By NOLS on 9/8/17 8:45 AM

Fill up for breakfast or dinner with this delicious camping recipe for potato pancakes. (Don't forget to top with your favorite hot sauce!)

Topics: Expedition Prep, recipe

How to Fix Your Outdoor Gear

By Molly Herber on 9/5/17 8:29 AM

Fortunately, fixing gear isn’t complicated, as long as you have a few of the right tools. We do it on NOLS courses all the time (since no one wants to sleep in a holey tent or walk around with ripped pants for a month).

Topics: Expedition Prep, Gear repair, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability

Instant Camping Recipe: Geikie Curried Rice

By Molly Herber on 8/25/17 8:56 AM

Named for Mt. Geikie in Wyoming's Wind River Range, this is a tasty meal you can prepare at home before hitting the trail, then just add boiling water when you’re ready to eat.

Topics: Expedition Prep, recipe, instant

The Art of a Good Re-Ration Care Package

By Katherine Boehrer on 7/17/17 9:42 AM

During a NOLS course that’s longer than a week, you’ll likely have a number of “re-supplies” or “re-rations” where you’ll receive new food, fuel, and supplies for the next section of your course. At the beginning of a course, you may be able to put a few items for yourself in with these supplies, so you can receive them throughout the course. (How much you can bring will often depend on the type of course and where you are. Customizing re-rations is not an option for every NOLS course.)

Topics: Expedition Prep

How to Choose a Camera for Camping (That’s not your phone)

By Molly Herber on 6/20/17 7:29 AM

There are so many times when you try to explain the best moment of your last trip. You describe the rain, the way your muscles burned, and how big your smile was, but it doesn’t really sink in until you pull out the photo from that trip and show that moment of triumph in the rain.

Topics: Expedition Prep, photography

When You Should Wear Cotton in the Outdoors

By Molly Herber on 6/13/17 8:47 AM

Some experienced campers’ favorite advice is “You should never wear cotton,” sometimes using the dramatic catchphrase “Cotton kills.”

Topics: Expedition Prep

Prepare for the Unexpected with a Solid Trip Plan

By Molly Herber on 6/6/17 8:42 AM

I’m all out of layers, I thought as I turned my pack inside-out looking for something else we could use. Our patient had a broken femur and my team was scurrying to assemble materials for a splint. I only had what I normally brought on a day hike—a jacket, snacks, and a half-full water bottle—not even a first aid kit. My heart raced as I scrambled to think of what else we could do for this patient. I could hear the rising stress in my teammates’ voices.

Topics: Expedition Prep

Camping Recipe: No-Bake Powerhouse Cookies

By Molly Herber on 5/2/17 8:20 AM

Here's a recipe for when you need a treat that also fuels you up after a long day.

Topics: Expedition Prep, cooking, recipe