Here's a recipe for when you need a treat that also fuels you up after a long day.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 Tbs. powdered milk (regular, soy, coconut, or nido)
- 4 Tbs. water
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup nuts
- ¼ cup chocolate or carob chips
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Mix sugar, butter, powdered milk, and water in a pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly so ingredients don’t burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a flat surface, like a pan lid.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes until the dough sets (These will be gooier in warm weather and firmer in cold weather).
If you like this recipe, step up your cooking game with these Backcountry Baking Techniques.
Molly is a NOLS instructor and writer. She loves the smell of her backpack and does her best writing before 7:00 am. When she's not scouting the next post for the NOLS Blog, she's running and climbing on rocks in Wyoming. Follow her on Instagram @mgherber