Named for Mt. Geikie in Wyoming's Wind River Range, this is a tasty meal you can prepare at home before hitting the trail, then just add boiling water when you’re ready to eat.
- .9 lb. instant rice
- ¾ cup dried celery and carrots
- 2 Tbs. dried onions
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 1.5 Tbs. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. vegetable broth powder
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk powder
- At home, mix rice, vegetable broth, and dried veggies together in a plastic freezer bag with a zip top.
- In a separate bag, mix coconut milk powder, sugar, and spices
- When it’s time to eat, boil water and add all ingredients to the freezer bag.
- Add hot water to meal and let sit until water is absorbed. (Put it in your jacket for a little extra warmth!)
Molly is a NOLS instructor and writer. She loves the smell of her backpack and does her best writing before 7:00 am. When she's not scouting the next post for the NOLS Blog, she's running and climbing on rocks in Wyoming. Follow her on Instagram @mgherber