There’s nothing better than enjoying a well-prepared dessert in the backcountry! Over the years, a few favorites have stood out on NOLS courses. These range in difficulty from mix-and-eat to baking with a twiggy fire. We encourage you try—and enjoy—them all!
1. Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ½ cups baking mix*
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa mix
- 2 Tbs. powdered egg
- pinch salt
- 4 Tbs. brown sugar or honey
- 2-3 Tbs. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cups cold water (approximate—for a pourable batter)
- ½ cup cocoa mix
- ¼-½ cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted
- 2 Tbs water (or coffee, for a stronger flavor)
- Combine all dry ingredients together. Add liquid ingredients and mix together until lumps are gone. Grease and sprinkle a little flour on your Fry-Bake, then carefully pour in the batter. Cover and bake, using a twiggy fire, for 15-25 minutes, or until done. See this post for tips on perfecting your baking techniques!
- Combine all frosting ingredients and cook in a pot over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour over cooled cake and serve to your hungry campmates!
*Make baking mix ahead of time for easy biscuits, pancakes, quick breads and cakes. To make, combine 4 cups flour, 2 ½ Tbs baking powder, ¼ cup powdered milk, and 2 tsp. salt.
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups Grape-Nuts or granola
- 3-4 Tbs. water
- 2 cups cheesecake mix
- 6 Tbs. powdered milk (any kind)
- 2-2 ½ cups water
- To make the crust, melt together the butter and sugar in your Fry-Bake. Add Grape-Nuts or granola and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add water and stir for another minute.
- Take the pan off of the stove and use a spatula or back of spoon to press the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, add water to your cheesecake mix and powdered milk, stirring out any lumps. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour over the crust and allow to set in a cool place before serving. You can also add ⅓ cup cocoa to your mixture if you’d like a chocolate cheesecake!
3. Scrambled Brownies or Gingerbread
- 2 cups brownie or gingerbread mix
- 6 Tbs. water (or more, if batter is dry)
This recipe is an alternative to baking with a twiggy fire, and earned its name because the end product never seems to get cooked completely. But in our opinion, brownies taste better gooey anyway!
- Simply mix all ingredients together, spread in an oiled Fry-Bake and cook on low heat for around 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use a spatula to scrape the dessert out of the pan and into bowls. Allow the finished product to sit for a few minutes to set before eating.
4. No-bake Cookies
- 1 cup oatmeal (instant or regular)
- 6 Tbs. butter
- 6 Tbs. brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. cocoa mix
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ Tbs. water
This one’s easy—just mix all the ingredients together and form into bite-sized balls. Eat right away or keep in a cool place to munch on later.
Perfect your baking technique by watching this video!