Photo by Charlotte Klein.
Waking up to the buttery smell of hot cinnamon rolls is one of the best ways to start your morning.
With this recipe from the NOLS Cookery, you can get that delicious, gooey cinnamon roll even when you're camping.
Cinnamon rolls are longtime NOLS classic, and this recipe is perfect for home, car camping, or to change up the routine of instant oatmeal on a longer trip. Enjoy! (Gluten-free version below)
Ingredients for Yeast Dough
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter or oil (optional)
- 3-3 ½ cups flour
Ingredients for Filling
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ½-1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup nuts (optional)
- ½ cup dried fruit (optional)
Photo by Tracy Baynes.
- Dissolve yeast in a small bowl/cup in lukewarm water with sugar and salt
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes in a warm spot until it froths
- Add yeast mixture to a bowl with half of the flour
- Beat vigorously for 2-3 minutes
- Add butter and the remaining flour to form a thick dough
- Knead the dough on a floured surface (putting flour on your hands will make them less sticky, too). You’ll know the dough’s ready when it’s silky and springy.
- Shape dough into a loaf, then place in an oiled pot or frying pan
- Cover and let rise for about an hour or until dough doubles in size
- While the dough is rising, prepare your filling: Mix butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon until creamy
- After the dough’s risen, punch it down, and roll it out into a large rectangle ½ inch thick
- Spread filling on the dough and sprinkle with nuts and dried fruit, if desired.
- Roll up the rectangle “jelly-roll” style, pinching dough closed so the filling doesn’t fall out
- Slice roll into 1-inch slices and place the slices in a greased pan (dental floss works well for slicing)
- Cover and bake with a twiggy fire for 25-30 minutes OR cook on one side for a few minutes, then flip and cook the other side.
Eat and enjoy! Best served hot.
How to Make Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls: