When you're rushing out the door on your way to rock climbing session or long hike, these little energy bites are the perfect snacks to have on hand to munch in the car or on the trail.
These No-Bake Energy Bites from the NOLS Cookery are an easy recipe you can make ahead of time so that, when it's time for your next adventure, you don't need to scramble for a snack.
Ingredients (Makes 30 bite-sized nuggets)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and/or chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins, Craisins, or other chopped-up dried fruit
- 1/2 cup granola or 1/2 cup cooked brown/white rice
- 1/2 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.)
- 1/2 cup powdered milk (regular, soy, coconut, Nido, etc.)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dried regular or instant oatmeal
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- A few drops of vanilla
- Mix all ingredients except flour and sugar in a large bowl
- Gradually add flour until the mixture becomes less sticky
- Let mixture set in a cool place for 15-20 minutes until the ingredients bind together (ex. in the snow, shade, or in or near a stream)
- Pinch off small amounts and roll into small, 2-inch nuggets
- Nuggets are ready to eat! Store in a sealed container or plastic bag until you're ready to eat.
Keep the nuggets cool and eat within one to two days (you'll have a little longer if you're at home and able to store them in the refrigerator).
[Editor's note: Post updated 8/20/2018]
Molly is a NOLS instructor and writer. She loves the smell of her backpack and does her best writing before 7:00 am. When she's not scouting the next post for the NOLS Blog, she's running and climbing on rocks in Wyoming. Follow her on Instagram @mgherber