NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Spring Break 2020: Get Ready for Adventure

By NOLS on Oct 1, 2019

Photo by Molly Hagbrand.

Make your spring break an adventure. Forget the crowded ski resorts or touristy beach vacation—it’s time to do something different.

Topics: Baja Sea Kayaking, rock climbing, education, backcountry skiing, NOLS Expeditions, spring break

Learning to Say “Thank You:” The path to building community while climbing

By Andy Notopoulos on Sep 3, 2019
Photo by Alex Thomas.

“Thank you!!!”

Topics: self confidence, wilderness education, instructor, rock climbing, Instructor Development Fund (IDF), story, thank you, gratitude

Instructor Expeditions of 2018

By NOLS on Mar 25, 2019

How do you become a better educator? There’s no one best answer, but continuing to be a learner yourself is certainly up there.

Topics: whitewater, Training, kayaking, Educators Notebook, instructor, mountaineering, rock climbing, Instructor Development Fund (IDF), Instructor expedition

Real-Life Scenario: Stuck on a Climbing Route

By Jake Blackwelder on Nov 26, 2018

The rescue team. Photo courtesy of Jake Blackwelder.

The 911 call: A climber was stuck in a crack on a classic multi-pitch trad route at a well-known sandstone climbing area near Moab, Utah. The incident happened near the top of a large chimney, a crack wide enough to fit a climber’s entire body into. The climber was about 100 feet from the ground and 40 feet below the pitch anchor, the next opportunity to attach securely to the wall.

My wilderness rescue team, consisting of myself, another Wilderness EMT, and three Rope Rescue Technicians, were the ones to receive the call and respond to the incident.

Topics: rock rescue, first aid, wilderness medicine, rock climbing, scenario

55 and Climbing

By Liz Johnson on Dec 11, 2017

“You’re cruising, Alex. I can hardly keep up with you!” I called up to my climbing coursemate as I belayed her.

“I’m trying a new technique,” she yelled back. “It’s called ‘Keep Going!’”

Topics: Live the Dream, rock climbing, leadership

Tolerance for Adversity and Uncertainty in the Southern Andes

By Brett Carroll on May 31, 2017

I grimaced slightly as I rolled onto my side, stretching the sunburnt skin on my back and shoulders. After the mild pain subsided I couldn’t help but laugh at this new source of discomfort, and its stark contrast to the bite of the frigid wind in Frey and the raw chill of the fog in Los Arenales.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia, rock climbing

4 Ways You Can Always Be Learning

By Molly Herber on Mar 16, 2017

At the start of a 10-day rock climbing seminar for NOLS instructors, I didn't know what to expect. It was my first seminar, and I worried that I wouldn't know as much as everyone else and would always be working to catch up. But once I got to NOLS Southwest and started meeting my coursemates, I quickly realized that wasn’t the case.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, instructors, rock climbing

International Climbers' Festival 2015

By Cole Medders on Jul 15, 2015

Climbing hard, crushing routes, cries of determination, and the domination of rock describe the events that transpire at the International Climbers' Festival year after year. Lander, Wyoming has hosted the ICF for over five years and draws some of the world's strongest athletes to push their limits on world class rock. But hold up ... wait ... we are not all 4% body fat, rock pulverizing superheroes, so what is it about this festival of climbing that draws hundreds of participants every year? What was happening off the wall when you and your fellow climbers were giving your tendons that much-needed break? Explore what made the 2015 ICF so unique off the rock and dive into a community of climbers from across the globe!

Topics: Lander, Live the Dream, rock climbing

Educator Expedition: Advanced Rock Guiding Course

By NOLS on Dec 11, 2014

By Andrew Megas-Russell, NOLS Instructor

Topics: Educators Notebook, instructors, rock climbing

NOLS Rocky Mountain makes ‘back to school’ more fun

By Casey Adams on Aug 15, 2013

NOLS Rocky Mountain brought extra adventure to Lander Valley High School freshman
orientation in this week.

Topics: Sinks Canyon, Behind the Scenes, Lander Valley High School, National Outdoor Leadership School, climbing, belaying, high school, County 10, freshman orientation, rock climbing

NOLS' Amazing Public Relations Internship

By Nate Robbins on Sep 5, 2012

My internship here at the National Outdoor Leadership School has been better than I could have ever expected. I have been given many opportunities to grow in more ways than just working at my desk. I do get the chance to develop my skills on normal public relations tasks including writing press releases. I have been sending out press releases about students who complete NOLS courses, and I’ve been getting published. I also have been working on social media postings on the NOLS blog about interesting stories and topics.

Topics: NOLS, Sinks Canyon, Behind the Scenes, opportunity, Lander, Public Relations, Wyoming, Headquarters, Internship, Gannett, International Climbers' Festival, Wind River Range, Vedauwoo, summit, CWC, rock climbing

NOLS Instructor Rock Climbing Rendezvous

By NOLS on Mar 25, 2011

NOLS Instructors gathered at Red Rocks, Nevada in late February for a reincarnation of the Rock Climbing Rendezvous. This “gathering of the guides” sought to bring Instructors together for a week of climbing, knowledge sharing and good company. Participants took advantage of the longer route potential at Red Rocks and challenged themselves on big multi-pitch objectives.

Topics: NOLS, Training, National Outdoor Leadership School, climbing, red rocks rendezvous, instructor, Live the Dream, red rocks, rendezvous, rock climbing