NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Tolerance for Adversity and Uncertainty in the Southern Andes

By Brett Carroll on 5/31/17 8:20 AM

I grimaced slightly as I rolled onto my side, stretching the sunburnt skin on my back and shoulders. After the mild pain subsided I couldn’t help but laugh at this new source of discomfort, and its stark contrast to the bite of the frigid wind in Frey and the raw chill of the fog in Los Arenales.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia, rock climbing

Any Year Can Be a Gap Year

By Shelby Cranshaw on 9/9/16 6:49 AM

I am not entirely sure what I meant when I claimed to “hate nature” for the majority of my life.

But I said it. Often. My dad used to bribe me up mountains with M&Ms every 100 steps. He threatened to send me on NOLS courses during my high school summers when I complained of boredom.

Topics: Alumni, NOLS Patagonia, Semester, wilderness medicine, adventure, Live the Dream, Gap Year, education

Educator Expedition: Paddling at the South Pacific Sea Kayak Symposium

By Jonny Hepburn on 7/21/16 10:46 AM

Southern Chile offers world class sea kayaking. In northern Patagonia, where NOLS is based, the Pacific Coast of South America fragments into a network of islands and fjords that offer some of the most remote, challenging, and beautiful paddling in the world. I had the chance to spend almost five months travelling and working for NOLS in Chile this past winter, and was grateful to receive an IDF grant to attend the South Pacific Sea Kayak Symposium in December.

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, Sea Kayaking, Educators Notebook, instructors, education, IDF, Instructor Development Fund, leadership

Educator Expedition: La Patagonia Desconocida - The Unknown Patagonia

By Marissa Bieger on 4/25/16 7:33 AM

… Perhaps when I say the word Patagonia, most of you will think of legendary places like el Chaltén or Torres del Paine, but here is the difference, my Patagonia is a land unknown to many and familiar to few. Yes, that is what I speak of, of that land that still has magical air to explore, that which hides in maps without information, mountains without name and routes that definitely do not exist.

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, climbing, Educators Notebook, instructor, mountaineering, education, leadership

How You Can Be More Sustainable Every Day

By Sarah Zimmerman on 4/22/16 8:34 AM

At NOLS, we try hard to incorporate earth-friendly practices into our work every week, every day, around the world. We try new ideas, like planting native flower seeds, and stick with the old practices that we’ve been working on for years, like repairing gear to keep it in use.

Topics: NOLS Yukon, NOLS Patagonia, NOLS Mexico, NOLS Australia, NOLS Alaska, NOLS New Zealand, NOLS Pacific Northwest, Environmental Stewardship, NOLS India, NOLS Scandinavia, NOLS Southwest, education, NOLS Northeast, NOLS Teton Valley, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability, NOLS East Africa, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch

12 Photos to Get You Excited for Spring

By Molly Herber on 3/16/16 10:40 AM

Spring is coming—it's time to start frolicking through wildflowers and get antsy for summer expeditions.

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, NOLS Mexico, Live the Dream, NOLS India, NOLS Southwest

A Second Family: My Home Stay in Patagonia

By Caroline Herman on 11/13/15 7:05 AM

Caroline took a gap year between high school and college to spend a year learning and living with NOLS in Chilean Patagonia. This is the story of her home stay with a Chilean family during her course.

Topics: Alumni, Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia, Gap Year

Writing and Trekking: One Woman’s Mission to Walk from Chile to Alaska

By Molly Herber on 11/3/15 3:04 PM
Bethany Hughes walks for self-expression and storytelling. Photo by Ethan Allen.

Topics: Alumni, NOLS Patagonia, wilderness medicine, WMI, Backpacking, Live the Dream, leadership

The Story of Gear: Reuse as an Ethic and Necessity at NOLS

By Kara Colovich on 9/7/15 8:15 AM

In the mountain town of Coyhaique, Chile, Phil Henderson, the NOLS Patagonia Equipment Manager, strips the last rings off of a tent that has just returned from a 30 day mountaineering course in the Andes.

This tent has seen the last of its exploration days—worsening tears spread through its seams, causing water to leak onto unwary sleepers—but this is not the end of its journey.

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, Environmental Stewardship, education, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability, leadership

New Frontiers: From the Netherlands to Alaska

By Molly Herber on 5/11/15 2:00 AM
Trekking through the Alaskan wilderness.

Topics: Alumni, NOLS Patagonia, Expedition Prep, NOLS Alaska, Alaska Sea Kayaking, Backpacking, NOLS Scandinavia

Spring Break in a Tent: The Patagonia Leadership Trek

By Molly Herber on 5/7/15 2:00 AM
Patagonia took my breath away.

Topics: leadership, NOLS Patagonia, Backpacking, Live the Dream, backcountry, NOLS Professional Training

Beyond the Ration: Sustainable Food at NOLS

By Karly Copeland on 5/6/15 1:30 AM

The NOLS ration is carefully engineered to meet the nutritional needs of our students and instructors. It is sprinkled with sweet treats to celebrate summits, birthdays, and other events that call for chocolate! And who doesn’t think of those peanut butter filled pretzels with fondness? However, to the NOLSie fresh off a 30-day expedition, even the most delicious maltball pales in comparison to the idea of fresh produce. As such, when our students and staff are in town we do our best to feed them the freshest food possible. Some locations are able to take things even further by growing their own food on site.

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, NOLS Mexico, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability, cooking, NOLS Alaska, Environmental Stewardship, NOLS India

Educator Expedition: South Avellano Tower

By Jared_spaulding on 2/18/15 2:32 AM

The Numbers:

Topics: NOLS Patagonia, climbing, Educators Notebook, mountaineering, instructors, education

Año Nuevo in Patagonia

By NOLS Patagonia on 1/27/15 5:49 AM

¡Feliz Año Nuevo from Coyhaique! The first few weeks of the new year in Patagonia have been busy!

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia

Patagonia Year 2014 Service Project

By Kamil Sade on 1/22/15 6:53 AM
Students work together to build a gate. Photo by instructor Rodrigo Chabalgoity

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia, Year in Patagonia