NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Why I Left School for a NOLS Semester

By Claire Burgeson on 10/15/18 9:50 AM

Photo by Claire Burgeson

The second week of my sophomore year of college, I walked into my 9:00 a.m. history class and asked myself, “What am I still doing here?”

I was doing what I'd always done: what was expected of me. I had graduated high school, chosen a college, and just chosen a major—journalism. I got good grades, had friends—on paper, I was a list of checked boxes.

At the same time, I felt my energy and creativity drain through the holes that the classroom grind had worn through me.

Topics: study abroad, NOLS Mexico, Gap Year, outdoor semester, Semester in Baja, story

What You Learn on a NOLS Semester

By Brooke Ortel on 8/30/18 9:10 AM

Photo by Jordan Cranch.

On her Rocky Mountain Outdoor Educator semester, Erin Phillips skied backcountry mountains, canoed whitewater rapids, and hiked more than 100 miles across the Utah desert. Each new landscape brought fresh experiences, including the day she and her coursemates hiked for hours to reach a water source in the desert’s slot canyons and danced in celebration.

The desert awakened another kind of thirst as well, a burning curiosity about the beautiful and harsh environment that surrounded her: “Escalante taught me a very special lesson: to stop. To stop doing and start listening.” 

Topics: Semester abroad, Behind the Scenes, Semester, culture, leadership, outdoor semester

Research Connects Wilderness Experience with Stronger Problem-solving Skills

By Shannon Rochelle on 8/28/18 9:11 AM

Photo by Justine Cornelison.

Last summer, the Antler River was a knee-deep stream flowing through a broad meadow deep in the mountains of Alaska. Now, it was a moving lake, flooding the entire meadow.

Topics: Semester abroad, Behind the Scenes, Semester, Research, Problem Solving, education, leadership, outdoor semester

NOLS Gap Year: College Prep Course

By Lyda Langford on 3/16/15 7:02 AM

My NOLS Semester in the Rockies was a highly valuable aspect of my gap year because it gave me strength and skills that I need to excel in college and life.

Topics: Semester in the Rockies, Expedition Prep, Gap Year, outdoor semester