NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Billycan Romance: A Lifetime Adventure

By Rich Brame on Feb 4, 2020

Same mountains, different expeditions, Scott and Petria Fossel completed challenging courses in Wyoming's Wind Rivers. The rest is history: a true NOLS love story. Photo by Nathan Page.

In about 1983, two New York City bankers met at a party. There was the usual small talk, music by Culture Club, and some shop talk, too. Home loan rates were 13%; electronic games maker Coleco was a hot stock; hit movies were Flashdance and The Big Chill.

Topics: Alumni, Wind River Wilderness, NOLS alumni, Wind River Range, stories

Learning the Meaning of Teamwork in the Wilderness

By Wolf Johnson on Jan 22, 2018

I crested the top of the small mountain, ahead of the rest, for a brief moment of celebration on the top, all by myself. The view took my breath away, literally, but also emotionally. I could feel a tenderness and had a few tears in my eyes. These were happy tears. As the others, my coursemates, arrived on the mountain’s top, the sun was at an angle and beginning to set. We all celebrated, and we were also exhausted and laughing. In this moment I felt immense joy and pride, and, realizing we were now about one-fourth of the way through our 30 days in the wilderness, I thought to myself, I think I’m going to make it, and I think this is going to be amazing.

Topics: Wind River Wilderness, Wyoming, Backpacking, Live the Dream, teamwork, leadership