NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Learning the Meaning of Teamwork in the Wilderness

By Wolf Johnson on 1/22/18 7:44 AM

I crested the top of the small mountain, ahead of the rest, for a brief moment of celebration on the top, all by myself. The view took my breath away, literally, but also emotionally. I could feel a tenderness and had a few tears in my eyes. These were happy tears. As the others, my coursemates, arrived on the mountain’s top, the sun was at an angle and beginning to set. We all celebrated, and we were also exhausted and laughing. In this moment I felt immense joy and pride, and, realizing we were now about one-fourth of the way through our 30 days in the wilderness, I thought to myself, I think I’m going to make it, and I think this is going to be amazing.

Topics: Wind River Wilderness, Wyoming, Backpacking, Live the Dream

NOLS Rocky Mountain meets Men In Science

By Hope Wilson on 10/11/10 10:48 AM

After six weeks at NOLS, I probably shouldn't be surprised to meet NOLS alumni almost everywhere I go. However, I still was not expecting to meet one last Friday at an event called "Men In Science" in Riverton, WY. This event is put together on alternating years for middle and high school boys and girls to encourage them to consider future careers in science.

Topics: Alumni, Wind River Wilderness, NOLS Rocky Mountain, WRW, Live the Dream

Extreme Makeover Winner is Heading into the Winds

By Aparna Rajagopal-Durbin on 8/26/10 4:17 AM

Topics: NOLS, Wind River Wilderness, Marshall-Spreiers, National Outdoor Leadership School, Ty Pennington, NOLS scholarships, Dream Expedition Video Contest, nols instructor, Live the Dream, Dream Expedition Contest, Extreme Makeover Home Edition

Recent Student Videos on YouTube

By William Roth on 8/11/10 5:53 AM

Here are a few recent videos uploaded to YouTube from recent NOLS grads. For more student-made videos, check out our Student Videos YouTube playlist.

Topics: NOLS, Wind River Wilderness, Waddington Range, pizza, Expedition Prep, LNT, WRW, backcountry pizza, youtube, video, leave no trace, student

Post-Course Interviews: The Good, The Bad, and The Snowy

By Adrienne Spiegel on 7/2/10 8:25 AM
We're back with the second installment of student interviews. Friday morning we grabbed two students while they de-issued gear and asked them about their Wind River Wilderness courses. Still unshowered but in good spirits, Ali Patillo from Atlanta and Anna Waldeck from Pittsburugh shared some of their course highlights. We spoke to Ali first. What was a high point of your course? The first sunny day after a week of snow. And eating fresh oranges after our first re-reation.

What about a low point? On the 5th day of our course we were in a field of snow after 8 hours of hiking and couldn't find a place to camp...but we made it.

Topics: Wind River Wilderness, Expedition Prep, summer, interviews, student, Rocky Mountain

Win a NOLS Course with the Dream Expedition Video Contest

By William Roth on 6/30/10 4:47 AM

What is your dream expedition? Is it rock climbing on seven continents in seven months? Is it bicycling across Europe? This year, NOLS is partnering with Patagonia for the Dream Expedition Contest.

Topics: Wind River Wilderness, dream expedition, Behind the Scenes, NOLS course, National Outdoor Leadership School, grand prize, win, contest