NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

12 Days That Changed My Life: A Homestay in East Africa

By Steve Stoddard on May 6, 2019

Photo courtesy of Steve Stoddard.

Rather than my watch alarm bringing me out of sleep, it was roosters and cows. Instead of bundling up to get out of my tent and start boiling water for my cook group, I was waking up in someone else’s home.

This was all pretty different than what I had gotten accustomed to during the previous six weeks of backpacking on my NOLS semester.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, study abroad, culture, NOLS East Africa, story, homestay

"There Is No Limit:" A Kenyan Mountain Guide Advances Her Wilderness Training

By Carol Wanjiru (Mimie) on Mar 13, 2019

On the right is Ol Doinyo Lengai Mountain, which we would attempt summit later that night. On the left is Lake Natron (on the Tanzania side of the border) and Shompole Mountain Conservancy (on the Kenya side). Photo by Carol Wanjiru.

Topics: Live the Dream, leadership, NOLS East Africa, story, women in leadership

Sketches from Tanzania

By Mingyuk Chen on Nov 14, 2018

At the first camp site in Tanzania, I was so taken by the silhouette of the thorn acacia trees outlined by the setting sun that I found myself sketching them in the dark with just a dim light behind me.

Topics: Live the Dream, wildlife, NOLS East Africa, NOLS Tanzania, safari, visual art, story

How You Can Be More Sustainable Every Day

By Sarah Zimmerman on Apr 22, 2016

Photo by Austin D.

At NOLS, we try hard to incorporate earth-friendly practices into our work every week, every day, around the world. We try new ideas, like planting native flower seeds, and stick with the old practices that we’ve been working on for years, like repairing gear to keep it in use.

Topics: NOLS Yukon, NOLS Patagonia, NOLS Mexico, NOLS Australia, NOLS Alaska, NOLS New Zealand, NOLS Pacific Northwest, Environmental Stewardship, NOLS India, NOLS Scandinavia, NOLS Southwest, education, NOLS Northeast, NOLS Teton Valley, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability, NOLS East Africa, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch

Take Your Cooking Outdoors: Interview with Expedition Chef Mary Brent Galyean

By Molly Herber on Jul 22, 2015

Expedition chef and three-time NOLS grad Mary Brent Galyean. Photo from vimeo.com

Topics: Alumni, Semester, NOLS Rocky Mountain, cooking, Live the Dream, video, NOLS East Africa