Take a Ride! It's Bike to Work Week

By Molly Herber

May 13, 2015

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike."—JFK 

katherine-boehrer-bike-oregon McKenzie River Trail in Oregon. Photo by Katherine Boehrer

Cycling enthusiasts are pretty happy this month. May celebrates National Bike Month, an event organized by the League of American Bicyclists to showcase this awesome, people-powered mode of transportation and recreation.

A special part of the month is Bike to Work Week, which runs from May 10 to May 16. We asked some folks at NOLS how they're celebrating and why they love to ride.

Here's what they had to say...

"May in Wyoming means the occasional day with calm winds, which makes my heart and my wheels sing! It also means I'll be blindsided by snow weeks after I think the last snowflake has fallen. Every year, May means bouncing between outside rides and inside rides. Either way, they feed my soul!"

—Casey Adams

"I've joined the local bike club and ride 3 times a week. Last year I would ride almost every other day during my lunch break around the Squaw-Baldwin loop. Love that NOLS has a bike storage area in the basement and I keep my bike here all year around so I can keep on my bike game. I train for full century and half century bike rides. The hills here are killer so moving to Wyoming from Ohio challenged my cycling skills...I like to document my training because it helps me keep with it all summer and the world viewed by bike is so beautiful, how could you not take a picture?!"

—Eryn Pierce

kristen-lovelace-grocery-bike Kristen's sweet set of wheels. Photo by Kristen Lovelace

"I bike 7 days a week because I do not have a car and it helps me get places faster than walking. I also take my bike with its basket to the market and that way I can only shop with what fits in my basket. I end up taking more frequent trips throughout the week, which gives me more exercise and helps me not overshop. Plus, bikes run on fat and save us money as opposed to running on money and making us fat!"

—Kristen Lovelace

[gallery size="medium" ids="5759,5760,5761"]

"[For National Bike to Work Week] We will be riding our cruisers around town and road riding! Thomas [my husband] may also get after it with a gravel or mountain bike ride."—Samantha Pede

brian-hensien-victory-bike What victory looks like at the Jurassic Classic bike race. Photo courtesy of Brian Hensien.

“I dressed up for my first bike race.” —Brian Hensien

Share your stories from Bike to Work Week and National Bike Month with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

A special thank you to contributors Casey Adams, Katherine Boehrer, Brian Hensien, Kristen Lovelace, Samantha Pede, and Eryn Pierce.

Molly Herber

Molly is a NOLS instructor and writer. She loves the smell of her backpack and does her best writing before 7:00 am. When she's not scouting the next post for the NOLS Blog, she's running and climbing on rocks in Wyoming. Follow her on Instagram @mgherber

The NOLS Guide to Fall Clothing

We think clothes should be both stylish and functional. If you look good, then you probably feel good, too. As you get ready to head out in search of some leaves to crunch (so satisfying), check out our recommendations for this fall’s must-have clothing.