Evisceration...Ewwww!

By John Hovey

Sep 29, 2008

Trauma to the abdomen can tear through the abdominal wall and, in some cases, expose the patient's intestines or other internal organs. This is a serious emergency called an evisceration, and it requires prompt evacuation from the wilderness and transport to a hospital. Infection, bleeding, and drying of the organs are all concerns.

The Wildernes EMT's prehospital care of this injury must include bandaging over the injury with a moist, sterile gauze dressing. The organs must be kept warm and moist, and they should not be touched. Definitely don't try to push them back in to the patient's abdomen! That is the job of a surgeon.
Evisc01

Note: this photo shows WEMT student Aaron Inouye suffering a *simulated* evisceration. How do we create these moulage injuries? Take a WMI Wilderness EMT course to find out!

John Hovey

Ready for the Challenge: How I Became a Wilderness EMT

I found myself patient-side during an intensive and grueling scenario at the Wyss Wilderness Medicine Campus in Lander, Wyoming.

“Keep holding still, you’re doing great,” I told Anna. Our eyes met as I held her hand and she took panicked breaths through the non-rebreather that was pressed against her face, filling her lungs with oxygen. Bright red blood was beginning to seep through the large pressure dressing I was holding against her abdomen to cover the 6-inch laceration there. We needed to move, but the single, tunnel-like entrance to the mine was blocked by other screaming patients on backboards and teams of rescuers, with only their headlamps visible in the thick, chalky smoke.