NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

New Year, New Outdoor You

By NOLS on Jan 6, 2020
Photo by Rich Brame

It's a new year and 12 months stand before you with unlimited possibilities for adventure and learning. Alaskan summers have endless days to enjoy, the northern Rocky Mountains are yours to climb, and the refreshing ocean waters of Baja await your sea kayak. And have you been considering earning your Wilderness EMT? This can be the year to make it all happen.

Topics: goal, Skills, education, trip planning, #optoutside, Leadership

Managing Risk Outdoors: Backcountry Wildfires

By Brooke Ortel on Oct 7, 2019
Photo by Matt Howard

It’s no secret that wildfires in the U.S. are getting bigger and more intense.

Even if you haven’t personally been affected by a fire, you’ve probably seen the haunting photos and devastating reports on the news. Demolished homes, displaced families, firefighters risking their lives to contain walls of flame. These stories are evidence of a deadly, and growing, threat.

Topics: Environment, Risk Management, education, NOLS Risk Services, trip planning, Wilderness Safety Training

Wilderness Safety Training: Key for Any Risk Management Toolkit

By Elizabeth Bezark on Jul 29, 2019
Photo by Shelli Johnson

Going to the backcountry or rural communities fosters growth, transformation, and opportunities for learning. But, often these experiences have inherent risks, like being far from medical care or in places where communication is difficult.

That’s why anyone, from solo adventurers to expedition leaders in these settings, needs skills in risk management.

Topics: Risk Management, NOLS Risk Services, trip planning, Wilderness Safety Training, Wilderness Safety

Prepare for the Unexpected with a Solid Trip Plan

By Molly Herber on Jun 6, 2017

I’m all out of layers, I thought as I turned my pack inside out looking for something else we could use. Our patient had a broken femur and my team was scurrying to assemble materials for a splint. I only had what I normally brought on a day hike—a jacket, snacks, and a half-full water bottle—not even a first aid kit. My heart raced as I scrambled to think of what else we could do for this patient. I could hear the rising stress in my teammates’ voices.

Topics: Wilderness First Responder, Expedition Prep, Risk Management, education, Wilderness Medicine, trip planning, Wilderness Safety