NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Managing Risk Outdoors: Backcountry Wildfires

By Brooke Ortel on Oct 7, 2019

Photo by Matt Howard.

It’s no secret that wildfires in the U.S. are getting bigger and more intense.

Even if you haven’t personally been affected by a fire, you’ve probably seen the haunting photos and devastating reports on the news. Demolished homes, displaced families, firefighters risking their lives to contain walls of flame. These stories are evidence of a deadly, and growing, threat.

Topics: risk management, education, NOLS Risk Services, trip planning, Wilderness Safety Training

Wilderness Safety Training: Key for Any Risk Management Toolkit

By Elizabeth Bezark on Jul 29, 2019

Photo by Shelli Johnson

Going to the backcountry or rural communities fosters growth, transformation, and opportunities for learning. But, often these experiences have inherent risks, like being far from medical care or in places where communication is difficult.

That’s why anyone, from solo adventurers to expedition leaders in these settings, needs skills in risk management. Strong risk management makes it more likely you will achieve individual and group goals for learning and recreating.

Topics: risk management, Trip Leader, education, NOLS Risk Services, trip planning, Wilderness Safety Training

Prepare for the Unexpected with a Solid Trip Plan

By Molly Herber on Jun 6, 2017

I’m all out of layers, I thought as I turned my pack inside-out looking for something else we could use. Our patient had a broken femur and my team was scurrying to assemble materials for a splint. I only had what I normally brought on a day hike—a jacket, snacks, and a half-full water bottle—not even a first aid kit. My heart raced as I scrambled to think of what else we could do for this patient. I could hear the rising stress in my teammates’ voices.

Topics: Wilderness First Responder, Expedition Prep, risk management, education, trip planning