NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

4 Strategies Leaders Use to Make Better Decisions

By Molly Herber on 3/7/18 10:06 AM

Photo by Betsy Winston.

Imagine this: You’re trying to figure out the best way to cross a river with your group of four friends. Even though you’ve crossed rivers on your own before, you’ve never led a group while doing it.

You’re wracking your brain trying to remember any acronyms that might help you, scrambling around the riverbank trying to guess the river’s speed, and weighing the equally strong temptations of “just going for it” and staying put, making camp, and coming back to the decision in the morning.

When you’re on the verge of total frustration, your friend shouts, “Hey, I found a log! Let’s use it to cross the river!”

Topics: Live the Dream, leadership, decision making

Learn Your Habits to Make Better Decisions

By Molly Herber on 9/20/17 8:56 AM

Humans’ ability to use patterns helps us make decisions faster, but can also lead us into what NOLS teaches in our leadership curriculum as decision-making traps.

Notes from the Field: Phil Henderson touches Camp III

By Casey Adams on 5/6/12 10:31 AM

Yes, things are very real up here. Some are unfortunate accidents; other things are risk of being in the mountains. The incident where the Sherpa fell into the crevasse was totally avoidable. I have gone through the Khumbu Icefall four times now, once completely alone. I clipped into almost every fixed rope, which are many, most so that I would not fall into a crevasse, others so that my body could be found at the next fixed anchor should anything cut loose.

Topics: Khumbu Icefall, NOLS, decision making, avalanche, Lhotse Face, Everest, skills, communication, Sherpa, Khumbu, Live the Dream, expedition behavior, expedition, Phil Henderson, Camp I, Camp II, judgment, Nuptse

Decision Making Lecture - Leadership Week Update

By NOLS on 2/25/11 6:15 AM

On the third day of Leadership Week, Tod Schimelpfenig gave to me, a Leadershot on decision-making!

Topics: NOLS, leadership week, tod schimelpfenig, decision making, #NOLSLW, WMI, Educators Notebook