NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

I Don't Need to Be an Extrovert to Lead: Reflections on Backpacking in Alaska

By Natasha Gold on 6/18/19 8:38 AM
Photo by Natasha Gold

In January 2018, I was perusing the internet for outdoor schools on a whim that perhaps I would apply to a program. I stumbled onto the NOLS website; instantly, I wanted to go.

I found an 8-day women-only backpacking expedition in Alaska. I liked the idea of a women’s only trip and I have wanted to camp in Alaska since I was little.

Topics: Alaska, all-women, story, women in leadership

New Courses for Winter & Spring 2019

By NOLS on 11/5/18 3:30 PM

Photo by Nikole Wohlmacher.

For winter and spring 2019, we’re excited to offer two new women-only courses, backpacking in the Southwest and backcountry skiing and snowboard touring in the Tetons, and a new service expedition.

Topics: leadership, Behind the Scenes, expedition, all-women, new courses

Learning a Non-Linear Leadership Style from Sea Kayaking

By Jen Dulz on 6/12/18 10:00 AM

Getting ready to launch the boats. Photo by Ali Bradley.

It was hot. I struggled to find shade as our group went through necessary orientation tasks: carry 3-5 water droms behind each boat, assign cook groups, gather group gear, divide group gear, assign and load boats.

Since I'd paddled on a NOLS trip before, I was "voluntold" to be the lead boat in a single kayak. I learned our heading, received a few instructions about monitoring my speed, and then we launched—a group of women on a Baja Sea Kayaking course.

Topics: NOLS Mexico, Baja, Sea Kayaking, women, all-women, leadership

5 Things You Already Do That Make You a Female Outdoor Leader

By Annalise Grueter on 10/19/15 8:00 AM

The author looking out at the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in southern Colorado from Mount Adams at 13,931 feet. Photo by Ryan Richardson.

Backpacker magazine recently posted this piece online touching on the fact that, regardless of outdoor experience, their female readership were less likely to view themselves as leaders than their male readership, and that needs to change. We agree.

Topics: Alumni, NOLS, National Outdoor Leadership School, climbing, cooking, communication, Backpacking, adventure, kayaking, Outdoors, Live the Dream, mountaineering, all-women, wilderness, backcountry, leadership

NOLS ladies at Little Red

By Casey Adams on 6/11/12 10:12 AM

Nearly a dozen NOLS women participated in a very important bike ride last weekend. We were proud to be represented at the annual Little Red Riding Hood, a non-competitive cycling event that raises funds for cancer research at Huntsman Cancer Institute in Utah.

Topics: NOLS, Behind the Scenes, diversity and inclusion, cancer, cycling, wilderness medicine, Huntsman Cancer Institute, Little Red Riding Hood, biking, University of Utah, Utah, all-women