The Leadership Project: Competence

By NOLS

Jul 27, 2020

NOLS Instructor Sanjana Govind introduces us to competence—a lifelong process of learning, working toward goals, and growing from failures and unexpected outcomes.

On a NOLS course, we talk about competence as "the ability to perform a skill in a way that produces your desired results. This is something that develops with experience and training. Different people need different experiences to become competent, and some learn faster than others." 

The leadership skills that we teach are so interconnected because if we are stronger in one skill, it also helps us build another skill.

We should also remember that we are not all universally competent in every skill out there. Bringing the group together and using everybody's strengths to achieve a skill will help us become better leaders and be able to achieve whatever we want to achieve as a group or as individuals.

Subscribe to the NOLSie News to follow along our series exploring the 7 NOLS leadership skills.

NOLS

NOLS is a nonprofit global wilderness school that seeks to help you step forward boldly as a leader.

Pine trees at sunset

How NOLS Ruined the Old Me

Scenery in the Wind River Range
Photo by Erin Sullivan.

The summer I was 19, I went on a thirty day Wind River Wilderness course.

It wasn't like I was outdoorsy. I never went to summer camp as a kid. I was in Girl Scouts, but I only lasted until we had to sleep in tents. Then I was out. I was not the kid playing in the dirt.