NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Instructor Q&A with Rich Brame

By NOLS on Feb 19, 2010
What is your favorite class to teach?
Baking. Hands down. Cooking is a life skill and showy backcountry baking usually blows people's minds. Many students have this image of eating canned vienna sausages and hardtack on their course. Teaching someone that baking is easy, fun and delicious sets them up for a lifetime of success. I don't know if all my students will climb, hike, cave or fish again, but I'm damned sure they'll eat. What is your favorite course to teach?
I like working the mountain sections of the Rocky Mountain Fall Semesters. The students come committed to a lengthy, challenging experience, the weather is often fairly sporting, and there are few people and fewer bugs in the mountains at that time of year.

Give me your best backcountry recipe.
Crispy hashbrowns (fried, hydrated and then fried again) with black beans poured over. Topped with cheese and enough spices to send a Rottweiler into spasms. A close second is backcountry-made tortillas filled with a spicy, cheesy mix of bulgar, rice and cous-cous. Line your Fry-Bake with those burritos and slather with re-hydrated red sauce and its a pan o' heaven right in your camp.

Topics: course, rich brame, baking, cooking, accomplishment, teach, achievement, Educators Notebook, instructor, q&a, skill, backcountry