NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Expedition Science on the Slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro

By Mara Gans on Mar 10, 2020
Students walk alongside a receding ice field at 19,000 feet in the summit caldera of Mt. Kilimanjaro. After a successful summit, their next mission is to gather data on Kilimanjaro's largest remaining glacier. Photo by Mara Gans.

I was challenged in two realms on this course—scientific research and outdoor skills. It was incredible to realize how deeply connected these two worlds are. As someone incredibly passionate about the outdoors, I feel that the science aspect of this course further enhanced my understanding of my actions in the outdoor world.Emilie Ginn, Tanzania Scientific Research Expedition

Topics: Leadership Skills, Study Abroad Stories, Mount Kilimanjaro, Research, education, NOLS Tanzania, science

Sketches from Tanzania

By Mingyuk Chen on Nov 14, 2018

At the first camp site in Tanzania, I was so taken by the silhouette of the thorn acacia trees outlined by the setting sun that I found myself sketching them in the dark with just a dim light behind me.

Topics: wildlife, NOLS East Africa, NOLS Tanzania, safari, visual art, Stories, Student Stories