NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

The difference between wilderness and urban medicine...

By NOLS on Apr 21, 2011

... is often described as patient care in austere environments with limited equipment, prolonged transport and poor communication.  An understated difference is the decisions we have to make in wilderness whether the patient needs to be evacuated to a physician's care, and if so, with what urgency. As an ambulance EMT I make an assessment, provide necessary treatment by protocols and in most cases transport the patient.  I rarely make a decision whether or not the patient needs to see the doctor.

Yet in the wilderness this may be my decision to make.  My judgment can affect the patient’s health, the safety of my expedition members and rescue personnel, and the quality and success of our planned wilderness  journey.     

We  find decisions and judgment a fascinating area of study and have gathered some thoughts in an article on medical decision making that you can access at:

https://rendezvous.nols.edu/content/view/1748/713/

Tod Schimelpfenig
Curriculum Director -Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS
Fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine

Topics: tod schimelpfenig, urban medicine, wilderness medicine, WMI, difference

Decision Making Lecture - Leadership Week Update

By NOLS on Feb 25, 2011

On the third day of Leadership Week, Tod Schimelpfenig gave to me, a Leadershot on decision-making!

Topics: NOLS, leadership week, tod schimelpfenig, decision making, #NOLSLW, WMI, Educators Notebook

Leadership Week - Day 5

By Aparna Rajagopal-Durbin on Feb 25, 2010

Lots to report as Leadership Week draws to a close.

Topics: patient assessment, Tod S., leadership, leadership week, Concrete Safaris, tod schimelpfenig, Behind the Scenes, Mac Levine, decisionmaking