A boat called Pearl, Muhammad Ali, and an impressive list of firsts all feature prominently in the newest addition to our NOLS Leaders video series.
This time we sit down with Tori Murden McClure. Her accomplishments give new meaning to the word determination and will inspire you to take on the world.Read More
Next time someone points an accusatory finger at you calls you a "NOLSie," be proud! Answers to the following quiz will show that you are in good company.
Answers (and photos) are after the quiz, but don't cheat! The grand prize is the sense of satisfaction and pride that you know more than the average person about NOLS Who's Who - or maybe the realization that you have been a NOLSie for longer than you thought.
(1) She was the first woman and first American to travel over land to the South Pole AND the first woman to row across the Atlantic by herself in a plywood boat.
(2) He wrote a true story about man versus the sea that was made into a successful Hollywood blockbuster movie, and won this year's US Documentary prize at the Sundance Festival for directing a visceral
account of a year in the lives of 15 Americans fighting in
(3) He leveraged the success of his first beverage company to start changing the world, one beverage at a time, with Adina for Life (a drink company with a social conscience)
(4) He is a dapper and award-winning CNN anchor, reporter, author and television personality.
(5) He is the founder of one of the most respected environmental news web-site, which touts itself as a "beacon in the smog."
(6) She is a media magnate (hint, the founder of iVillage) whose recent marriage to another media magnate (hint, the president of Random House) was much talked about in the Big Apple
(7) He is a dishy famous actor who starred in such 80's flicks as St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Mannequin, and my own personal favorite, Weekend at Bernie's.
(8) She is an "Ultra Mom" who teaches for NOLS and WMI, has a 2-year-old son, and was recently clocked as the fastest woman on trail at the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile run.
(9) He is one of our newest interns in the NOLS Headquarters video department who is a hometown hero in Alexandria, where a local on-line paper published a piece about his Semester in Patagonia.Read More
Topics: South Pole, tori mcclure, NOLS, Adine for Life, CNN, Chip Giller, Anderson Cooper, Grist, Candice Olson, NOLSie, Rocky Raccoon, iVillage, Sebastian Junger, WMI, Perfect Storm, Liza Howard, Live the Dream, Greg Steltenpohl, Restrepo, Semester in Patagonia, Pearl in the Storm, Odwalla