NOLS Blog

Browse by Category

Learning a Helping Mindset While Camping

By Molly Herber on 10/12/17 10:27 AM

The start of a course, or any trip with new people, is usually a little bit messy. Setting up the tent just took 45 minutes and, when you finally finish, you realize that no one has started cooking dinner yet. On top of that, you don’t even have water to cook with yet.

Topics: leadership, Behind the Scenes, expedition behavior

How to Create a High-Functioning Team in the Outdoors

By Taylor Owens on 9/7/17 8:24 AM

You go on outdoor adventures to enjoy the group experience as much the scenery or any activity you'll do. Just like packing your gear, you can plan ways to keep everyone motivated and excited to be part of the team.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, Outdoor Leadership

New Courses for Winter and Spring 2018

By Molly Herber on 8/24/17 9:17 AM

We’re excited to announce our three new courses for winter and spring of 2018. Do service work at a school in Tanzania, explore remote cave paintings in Baja California, and grow your avalanche awareness with a winter ski training.

Topics: Behind the Scenes

Teaching Leadership Through Storytelling on Wilderness Expeditions

By Eric Boggs on 7/19/17 1:00 PM

Instructor, University of Oregon faculty member, and speaker at the 2017 NOLS Summit Eric Boggs talks with us about how to use storytelling as a powerful way to teach leadership.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, leadership, storytelling

Reaffirming Our Commitment to a Sustainable Future

By NOLS on 6/2/17 12:57 PM

“We want [our students] to use the education to be leaders in their community with an understanding of ecology and conservation for the wild outdoors far beyond their legislators back home. We expect these people to be a grain of sand on the beach of future leadership.” —Paul Petzoldt

Topics: Behind the Scenes, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability

Tolerance for Adversity and Uncertainty in the Southern Andes

By Brett Carroll on 5/31/17 8:20 AM

I grimaced slightly as I rolled onto my side, stretching the sunburnt skin on my back and shoulders. After the mild pain subsided I couldn’t help but laugh at this new source of discomfort, and its stark contrast to the bite of the frigid wind in Frey and the raw chill of the fog in Los Arenales.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Patagonia, rock climbing

Educator Expedition: Family Time Rafting on the Middle Fork

By Will Stubblefield on 4/17/17 8:51 AM

We arrived at Velvet Falls, one of the first notable rapids of this family trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, instructor, NOLS Teton Valley, whitewater rafting

New Courses for Fall 2017

By Molly Herber on 4/10/17 8:49 AM

Editor’s Note: We’re introducing six new courses to our fall lineup that are all 10 days or shorter. Enjoy!

Topics: Behind the Scenes, NOLS Rocky Mountain, NOLS Southwest, NOLS Northeast

Expedition to Pluto: The New NOLS Course

By Molly Herber on 4/1/17 7:30 AM

We’re announcing the newest NOLS course: Pluto Space Travel and Spacewalking.

According to executive director John Gans, “Pluto’s an unconventional choice, but was only logical for our newest course area.”

Topics: Behind the Scenes

How to Make Your Routine Leave No Trace

By Molly Herber on 3/29/17 8:16 AM

You’re the type of person who will eat a noodle that fell in the dirt, shudder when you think about “surface pooping,” and march right through mud puddles on the trail rather than around them. You’re a master of Leave No Trace.

It can be hard to know how to bring your dedication to LNT to your daily routine. So, I asked around my colleagues at NOLS Headquarters to find out what they do to keep LNT alive in their daily routine. Maybe it’ll spark ideas you can fit into your lifestyle.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, leave no trace, Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability

Make Leadership the Focus of Your Gap Year

By Katherine Boehrer on 3/23/17 9:42 AM

I took my first NOLS course, Alaska Backpacking, the summer before my senior year of high school. Many things I learned in the backcountry made me better prepared for my final year of high school and starting college. If you're thinking about taking a gap year, that's a perfect time to hone your leadership skills. The value of travel, work experience, or service during a gap year isn't just in activities—it's also in the intangible skills like teamwork and self-reliance.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, Gap Year

4 Ways You Can Always Be Learning

By Molly Herber on 3/16/17 8:45 AM

At the start of a 10-day rock climbing seminar for NOLS instructors, I didn't know what to expect. It was my first seminar, and I worried that I wouldn't know as much as everyone else and would always be working to catch up. But once I got to NOLS Southwest and started meeting my coursemates, I quickly realized that wasn’t the case.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, instructors, rock climbing

New Courses for Summer 2017

By Molly Herber on 2/21/17 9:50 AM

When we decide to create a new course, it comes from a combination of our faculty’s passion for the area and constant desire for growth, and from what students say they want to see more of.

So, here’s a peek at the new courses you can take starting the summer of 2017. You can focus on service learning, explore the far north of Norway, or walk through the heart of Alaska’s Talkeetna Range.

Topics: service, Behind the Scenes, NOLS Rocky Mountain, Sea Kayaking, NOLS Alaska, Backpacking, NOLS Scandinavia

Our 10 Favorite Books about Leadership by Women

By Molly Herber on 2/9/17 11:04 AM

[Editor’s note: When I asked folks at NOLS’ headquarters for book recommendations, a small and steady flood of suggestions hit my inbox. The request expanded from a small circle of coworkers and friends to include folks I’ve never met—so many that they couldn’t all make the list.

Topics: Behind the Scenes, Books

How to Connect Leave No Trace to Your Daily Life

By Molly Herber on 2/6/17 8:02 AM

Leave No Trace is part of the camping mindset—when you’re out in the woods, your environmental impact is easy to see. But how do we bring that ethic back home with us?

Topics: Behind the Scenes