Take Care of Things: Goodbye Alfred

Posted by: Kim Freitas on 9/30/14 8:45 AM

On the last night of my NOLS course Mandy Pohja pulled an essay out of her pack and we all sat down to debrief the course. We took turns reading “Briefing for Entry into a More Harsh Environment” by Morgan Hite.

It talked about what we could take home from a NOLS course. One of the points is to, “take care of things.”

Hite wrote, “Take care of things. In that other world it's easy to replace anything that wears out or breaks, and the seemingly endless supply suggests that individual objects have little value. Be what the philosopher Wendell Berry calls ‘a true materialist.’ Build things of quality, mend what you have and throw away as little as possible.”

Alfred 2

This was the original backpack Pohja took on her student course years ago and she has taken care of it through many good nights in the backcountry.

Alfred 1
Pohja reflected on her time with her backpack, “Today I said goodbye to my good friend, Alfred (Yes, I named my backpack, and yes I can fit inside of it). Over the past seven years we have spent 300 nights camping and 1,000 miles hiking together in some amazing places.

Alfred 3

Thanks Alfred for all the amazing adventures, and thanks to countless NOLS students and instructors for putting up with his shenanigans.

Alfred, you will be missed.”

Alfred 4

Congrats to Mandy for providing an excellent example to students and instructors of how to take care of your gear!

Kim is a Wind River Wilderness and Wilderness First Responder graduate who works as the NOLS Writer and PR Specialist. She enjoys vegetarian cooking, warm yoga, and drinking lots of coffee!