NOLS Rocky Mountain Welcomes 2012 Summer Interns!

Posted by: Matt Leslie on 6/4/12 10:15 AM

This past week the Rocky Mountain Branch welcomed its three new interns. Lets meet them!

Hey folks! My name is Matt Leslie and I originally hail from Grand Rapids Minnesota. I moved from the lakes of Minnesota to study near the mountains at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma Washington. I am currently a senior majoring in Business Marketing and getting a minor in Sport Psychology. I have previously been acquainted with NOLS by taking a Wilderness First Responder course through WMI, and most recently by completing a mountaineering course in Patagonia this past January. This summer I am very excited to work alongside the friendly folks at the Rocky Mountain Branch, as well as explore the climbing and wilderness that the greater Lander community has to offer.

SAM_1497

Hello NOLS community! My name is Robby Sare and I sure am glad to be 4800 feet higher in Lander than I was in Chicago. I moved to Chi-city after a nomadic childhood, where I attended the University of Chicago intending to study math, but I found the earth sciences and fell in love. I am a NOLS Wind River Mountaineering 2010 grad, and missed the Winds too much to stay in the Midwest for long. I am psyched to explore the geology of the hogbacks and pink granite around the basin, and to climb a little bit of limestone and mountain rock, too.

SAM_1499

Hi! My name is Sarah Murphy and I am a two-time NOLS alumnus. I just recently graduated with an undergraduate degree in psychology from Humboldt State University. Even though I loved the redwoods of Humboldt County and the foggy, wet weather of Northern California, my summer goals were to work with NOLS and replenish my lack of vitamin D. I took two rock-climbing courses based in Lander and never knew under what circumstances I would return. I could not be happier to be one of the Rocky Mountain interns this summer! Being a part of the NOLS family, exploring the outdoors, and helping students get out into the backcountry are a few of the things I am looking forward to this summer in Lander.

Here is Sarah on the right with rations extraordinaire Jessica Strong:

SAM_1505

Welcome 2012 Summer RM Interns!

SAM_1517

SAM_1515